Monday, June 28, 2010

Kansas City Gig, No GPS and the bridges of Madison County.



Got into Kansas City close to 9:30pm because we made an unexpected detour to the beautiful bridges of Madison County on our way. I loved that book and the movie. I even got to play my guitar on the bridge. YAY! How it happened, that we got to see the bridges is we missed a travel/rest area stop and had to drive for miles and miles more til there was a little town. All farms and crops in this part of the country. We asked someone where we could find a restaurant and they said there was one 30 to 45 minutes away. I never thought we'd be relieved to see a McDonalds. LOL. On top of that, this McDonalds took an extra 30 minutes to make.....my salad. Really? Salad? They acting like they've never gotten that order before. Atleast I knew it was fresh. LOL

Sunday we hung out with Neel's cousin in Shawnee, KS and played with the kids at "Power Play Zone" near by before my gig. I left them there and on my own attempted to GPS the address of the Country Club where I was doing a kids show. Well, I am not kidding. I sat next to the 435 South and 435 North entrance ramp signs for 10 minutes waiting for the GPS signal to appear and it never did. So, I called the club and Neel and found my way there. I guess I need to rely on the old fashion way of doing things around here. So much for independent, fly by the seat of your pants!

The gig went fine and everyone had fun. It was a small and very attentative group of kids. Afterwards we had an ice-cream social and I sold some CDs while meeting the parents. That was weird, meeting the parents afterwards. Not that I don't talk with the parents....but usually they are with their kids, participating, taking pictures or whatever. Not this crowd. They just sent their kids to the ballroom dance floor, on their own, and watched the whole time. It was different, but worked out just fine. The kids probably listened even a little better, that their parents weren't directing them. hahahhaa.

Last night we met some of Neel's friends in Kansas City at the Plaza and had Jack's famous BBQ and brisket. We then walked around admiring the Spanish style architecture and took pictures near the beautiful fountains. There are lots of fountains every where. Kansas city has a lot to offer and is quite beautiful and peaceful at the same time. There's a skyline of buildings downtown and rolling hills close by.

Today we went to Deanna Rose Farmstead with the kids. FUN outside farm with poney rides, goats to feed, tents, bison and lots more.

Tonight we are being treated to a home cooked steak dinner and leave for Oklahoma tomorrow morning, or if we feel adventurous tonight. We'll see...

Two shows in Oklahoma and the last one is the Biggest, in a theatre that seats 488 people. Whoohoo! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment